It did have the head gaskets replaced at 390k. This motor comes in a normally aspirated version (L36) and a Supercharged version (L67), I am going to concentrate on the L67 since it is the supercharger that makes this motor so special. CXS engine may have less displacement but it delivers 240 hp @ 6000 rpm and 225 lbs-ft of torque at 2000 rpm.

I'm well aware of the reliability and performance of the 3800 engine, but what about the 3.1 found in a lot of late 90's early 2000's GM cars? The 3800 Series II was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 1997. The matrix on the right is the Engine Casting Numbers and should prove to get you the ID, Make and Year of your Engine. The Chevrolet version was unrelated to the Buick engine. It has been a prolific engine, been in everything from Jeeps, Buick sedans, Buick Hi-Po cars...even Indy and Nascar racers. Current 3800 Series II V6 engines are ULEV certified since the 2000 model year. Got a customer that has 3 W-body GM's. The daughters is at 517k miles on the original engine/trans. The only difference I can recall are the connecting rods. This motor comes in a normally aspirated version (L36) and a Supercharged version (L67), I am going to concentrate on the L67 since it is the supercharger that makes this motor so special. Am I just running on luck or is this engine really just that good?

This engine family was the basis for the GM High Value engine family. Now it seems the new host of chronic alternator eating is the Olds 3.5L DOHC V6 engine. It's lived many incarnations in many different vehicles over decades. This engine which traces it's roots back to the fall of 1961, with the introduction of the '62 Buick Special, will be missed. Is the 3800 Series II V6 THAT GOOD of an engine??

It can trace its origins to the 198-cubic-inch V-6 that powered the 1962 and later Buick Specials. I understand the death of the Buick 3800 V6 is imminent. Our large inventory and huge warehouses allow us to offer some of the best prices around.
Grand Prix 3800 Engine Specs ... GM's 3800 engine was used in several of their makes and models, including the sporty family Grand Prix sedan. Change Location. Why a 1990s Buick Might Be a Teenager's Best Option for Cheap Speed (Seriously) ... supercharged 3800 V6. The supercharged Series II 3800 V6 motor can be found in all sorts of GM cars … Specifications and which trims received the standard or supercharged 3800 varied depending on model year. I'm just hoping this will keep people from freaking out when their cars aren't starting or are starting and dying. Unfortunate if you ask me. It has 236,000 miles on it, not a single problem. The Buick 3800 V6 is a fairly reliable engine, but coolant leaks on the Series II 3800 engines with the plastic intake manifold have been a problem. His has 414k miles. I have no doubt that VVT could have been added to the Buick 3800 V-6, but it would have required a new block casting (as it did for the Chevy engines) to contain the additional oil passages for that feature. The alternator issues with the old 3.8L GM engines is no longer case.
This is less than 6 percent of the 25 million examples of the V6 installed in GM vehicles between 1975 and 2008. 7 Answers. The 3800 V6 is a 90 degree cylinder angle motor derived from a 60’s era V8 later sold to British Leyland and used in lots of Brit cars. torque much earlier. The wife's is the "new one" with 306k miles. Specifications and which trims received the standard or …